BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Not-So-Sunshine.

Sunshine by Robin McKinley is quite possibly the worst book I've ever read. I'm not exaggerating here-- it was that bad.

I bought it a few weeks ago with a gift card for amazon.com that I'd got from my mom for some unknown reason thinking it'd be a good book. If you know anything about me, you know that I'm a sucker for a good vampire or horror story. When I read the pitch, I thought it was poorly written and a little cliche sounding, but decided to give the book a chance anyways. It had received some decent reviews, so I went ahead and bought it.

What a waste of nine bucks.

Really. In the first few pages alone there were so many random characters introduced that I found myself confused as to who was who and what their role in the story was. The author would introduce a character, tell your their whole life story, have him/her speak one line of dialogue, then never appear in the story again. This happened about five times. Another thing is that you don't even learn the MC's name until 50 pages or so in. When you finally learn it, you realize that her real name isn't even used once in the book. Her real name is Raven, but then it's Rae, but then it's Sunshine. That alone left me going, "Huh?"

What's worse was how every few pages, the author would have the MC complain about how she has to wake up at four in the morning to bake freaking cinnamon rolls. We get it, you aren't a morning person, but you like to cook. You can stop now.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anybody. It was just... Ick.

0 comments: